Thursday, January 13, 2011

Let the Holidays Continue!

I used to not appreciate the timing of my birthday very much, but I've changed my mind. As a kid, my January 11th birthday meant the holiday break was over, so I spent the day at (blah) school, and it was of course too cold to have a pool party with my friends. I dreamed of a nice warm summertime birthday in those days, and I think we even postponed my party until summer one year, but it was too weird.

Now if I stretch the celebration as far as it will go, I can get a good week off from cooking. :) The trick is to sign up for all the restaurant e-mail lists you can think of so they'll send you free meal coupons for your birthday! It's perfect timing since I'm semi-comatose at night from working full time after our two-week vacation with family. Having a birthday two weeks after Christmas also gives me a good excuse to postpone any responsible New Year's resolutions. You say "procrastination," I say "mental and emotional preparedness."

Anyway, it was a great birthday this year. I woke up to this beautiful sight:

Then these pretty ladies took me out to lunch

AND I had a hot dinner date at The Cheesecake Factory!

You should be more jealous of that cheesecake, so here, take a good look. Decadent chocolate...rich creamy peanut butter...mountains of whipped cream. :)

It. Was. Amazing.
And the good food continued this week with a delicious apple cake from my Bible study group and a birthday lunch at Buca di Beppo with my co-workers. Yum and yum!
Speaking of New Year's resolutions, I decided that this was the year. Actually, last year was going to be the year, but I made my decision too late and they ran out of space. I've been toying with the idea of it since we moved to San Diego, and I think it's going to be lots of fun! I mean, not that I'm doing anything about it right now exactly, but maybe (I'll give it a 50/50 chance) I'll start preparing next week.
:)
:)
:)
Are you curious?
:)
:)
:)
Wondering what it could be?
:)
:)
:)
*******drum roll********
I registered for the 2011 San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon!!!!! It's one of the biggest events of the summer around here, and Dan & I have gone out to cheer on the runners in past years. They used to only offer a full marathon distance (I can't get motivated enough for that), but last year they added the half marathon course for the first time. It's something I know I can do, although it'll push me farther than I'd push myself without a goal to work towards. I'm excited about it! But not enough to start training just yet. Just give me a few more days of laziness...it's my birthday week, you know.

3 comments:

OCS said...

Ha ha ha!! So glad you got treated like a queen and the wonderful person that you are! Excited to see how you like the half marathon, good for you!

Anonymous said...

Yay!!! Go for the half! I so wish I could come cheer you on. Maybe I can. When is it? Maybe I could even run in it!

Nah, I don't really feel like it. But good luck to you : )

Tricia

Neil Geswein said...

Hey Dan and Deb,

This is Neil and Erin from Colorado. I just found your blog. We were talking about you last night and I wanted to see if i could find you some how. I will catch up with everything on your blog. You can email me at nag72083@gmail.com Hope to talk to you guys soon. Neil